On June 4th and 5th, the DEMA Board of Directors met to follow up on April’s Strategy Session. Specifically, the Board of Directors began implementing changes that reflected the concerns, needs and expectations of those participating in DEMA’s recent strategy efforts and who had provided their input along with that collected from fellow stakeholders. The DEMA Board recognized that immediate action needed to occur to address these issues and make the changes that the industry needs in order to support and facilitate Industry and business growth for all stakeholders.
The Board recognized the importance of facilitating collaboration amongst all Industry stakeholders and providing the resources needed to facilitate Industry and business growth. As a result the following action items were taken:
1. Formation of a Retailer Resource and Support CommitteeThis Committee’s main goal will be to focus on retailer resources and support including education, access to pertinent and actionable data, and, ultimately, business growth.
2. Creation of an online forum on DEMA’s websiteThis online forum will allow Industry stakeholders to provide feedback and engage with DEMA and other Industry stakeholders in dialogue about DEMA and Industry-related issues.
3. Implementation of a policy to appoint non-Board Member chairs for appropriate committeesIn an effort to engage all stakeholders and foster idea generation, the Board has adapted a preferential policy that non-Board members will take the role of Committee Chairs. This policy has been enacted to stimulate additional conversation and bring new ideas as well as foster engagement of DEMA Board and Members wishing to serve in a capacity other than a full three-year commitment of a Board term. This action will provide stakeholders with additional opportunities to collaborate and provide their input, thus acting as a key contributor in the direction and future of the Association & Industry.
4. Conduct a review of DEMA’s Board Election process and policiesSuch a review includes the methods by which Board Member candidates are nominated. Currently, the Board is reviewing various options, including the hiring of an outside consultant to help with any changes to the election process.
5. Commitment to review and re-align DEMA’s Mission Statement with the organization’s strengths, capacity to create collaboration, and needs of the IndustryThis will help Members take advantage of areas of expertise such as legislative advocacy, business and industry research, face-to-face meetings and events, business education and member services that provide value and help facilitate business for all stakeholders.
“This strategic effort has had a great impact on DEMA’s direction and growth. It provided a necessary platform for stakeholders to voice their expectations and needs from the Association for future business success and has opened up the doors for future input and Industry collaboration,” explained Tom Ingram, DEMA’s Executive Director. “Perhaps most important will be a re-alignment of DEMA’s Mission and Goals because it will impact how DEMA conducts business every day, and guide the Association in making the changes needed to have a positive impact on the Industry. Collaborating and incorporating input from Members of the Industry will be an ongoing necessity for the DEMA Board and staff.”
The next DEMA Board Meeting will be a conference call scheduled for August 18th, 2014. More information on DEMA’s Board of Directors and Committees is available on the DEMA website. Complete minutes from past Board of Directors Meetings are available to current DEMA Members from the Member Dashboard ofwww.dema.org.